Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Final Cost Analysis

The Nutmeg was designed many years ago to be the "$200 boat"... a solid sail/row boat that could be built on a shoe-string budget. The design was first sold with that in mind in 1995. Obviously, with inflation and the incredible increases in lumber costs in recent years, I had no expectation of keeping below that total in my costs. Nonetheless, I have been interested in keeping track of the total costs. One of the reasons I decided to build my own boat was because I really didn't want to spend thousands on a new boat. It was always a goal of mine to build a boat that we could enjoy for years without going broke. So, I have kept reciepts and have taken a few minutes to summarize the total costs of this build.

I could have saved a lot of money if I had been willing to make my own connectors and patch together some hardware from scraps, as many builders do... and I could have really lowered the overall cost if I had been willing to make a sail from a $20 tarp from Lowe's. On the flip side, I could have spent many hundreds of dollars on a new sail that someone else made for us... and missed the joy of knowing we had sewn our own! In the end, we decided to have the entire boat building experience... and sew our own sail from material that will last... having the quality without the cost!

So, here's the final shopping list:

4 sheets of 1/4" plywood 53.92
4 1X3X8's 5.16
1 sheet of 1/2" plywood 17.96
1 18' 2X10 19.45
1 gallon exterior all-weather paint 15.48
1 quart colored exterior paint 6.99
100' Nylon Rope 8.97
400 3/4" screws 13.88
100 1 1/2" screws 7.74
Fiberglass cloth 5.97
Epoxy 40.64
Bolts/Nuts/Washers 12.45
Putty/Filler 3.92
Gudgeons, pintles, cleats, etc. 24.68
12 yards Sailcloth and sailtwine 89.76
Grommets and swivel blocks 13.82

Total, plus or minus of few bucks... $340.79

So, all in all, I think I am way ahead of the game!

1. I had more fun building this boat than any other project I have ever done!
2. We now have a boat we can sail in, or fish in for years to come.
3. I have a better relationship with my nephew and my sons because of the time spent working on this boat.
4. We're only out $340 bucks!

I think it was a great deal!

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hi Dave -

I tripped over this when looking for boat bottom paint in Ithaca... Google works funny sometimes, but it was a nice tangent. I am very impressed with the boat; I admire DIY'ers, I really admire boat DIY'ers, and I love the dual functionality/car-top-ability of the boat.

If you have time, please post your overview now - and as with any DIY'er what you would do to improve the design.

Thanks again for the nice story line!

Chris Beardsley

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger alex said...

Why, the Major wanted to know, could they not be filed and paid in a lump sum at some convenient period--say when the Anecdotes and Reminiscences had been published and paid for? Miss Lydia would calmly go on with her sewing and say, We'll pay http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=x+gerade as we go as long as the money lasts, and then perhaps they'll have to lump it.. This brings up the question whether wishes arising from these different sources possess the same value for the dream, and whether they http://www.jouqoech.info/?search=academy+d have the same power to incite a dream...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home